Competing in the first event of the five round 2018 Trans Am West Coast Championships presented by Pirelli at Auto Club Speedway near in Fontana, April 27-29. Tomy Drissi and Burtin Racing the No. 8 GoShare/Axalta Chaparral inspired Chevrolet Camaro spent the weekend shattering track records.
Drissi set the fast lap for the TA class with a 1:36.714 in his debut for Burtin Racing— a lap if replicated in qualifying would stand as a new track record. Drissi, a native of Los Angeles, entered as the defending victor at Auto Club, outlasting Kyle Kelley in a heated TA class battle last year.
In Saturday’s qualifying, Tomy did not disappoint. By way of a new track record 1:35.756 qualifying lap, Tomy took the pole. For Drissi, the pole marks the 10th of his Trans Am career in what stands as his 109th start. Drissi finished second in the 2017 West Coast Championship.
“I’ve known Claudio [Burtin] in the past,” said Drissi. “He was a good driver and always had good equipment. I didn’t know what I wanted to do for 2018, so I got in touch with Claudio and put together a deal. Even though we missed the first three events, we’re going to run for the overall championship and give those guys and girls a run for the money. We’ll run the West Coast to try and get some exposure over here— there are some great tracks here, the competitors back East come out here and run. Sure, it’s a couple more bucks and another day but there are some great tracks.”
Unfortunately, Tomy’s dominance did not carry over into Sunday’s race. Despite leading the race and setting another track record, fastest lap of the race, half way through the TransAm feature, Tomy found himself sitting at the entrance of pit-in with a mechanical failure.
“This was really unfortunate,” said Tomy. “The Burtin Racing crew were fantastic all weekend and really put a great car under me. They are a great group to work with and I know we’ll be back with more track records and some race wins.”
“It was a fantastic weekend,” added Tomy. “We’ve had the ’70 Jim Hall Chaparral factory Camaro that ran in Trans Am here for the weekend, just the way it ran back in the day. I’m honored just to have it here. When I found out I was going to run for Claudio (Burtin) and knew the car would have a Camaro body, I sent him a picture of the Chaparral car. What Claudio has done with this car is commemorate the Jim Hall Camaro on a modern Trans Am car. It’s pretty cool.”
The Trans Am West Cost Championship will resume June 1-3 at Sonoma Raceway.
Keep up with Tomy at http://www.tomydrissi.com or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/tomydrissi/ – Catch Tomy’s Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/tomydrissi
Tomy Drissi is an American driver and Trans Am Champion.
His driver experience includes ALMS, Trans-Am, NASCAR and Speed World Challengea
Born December 9 in Hollywood, California, Tomy owns an advertising firm that produces upcoming film displays for cinemas.
Drissi’s first racing experience in motorsports was street racing on Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills.
Tomy’s professional racing career highlights include:
• 1999 Trans-Am Rookie of the Year,
• 2000 Trans-Am BBS Most Improved Driver,
• 2000 Trans-Am Crew of the Year
• 2000 Trans-Am Long Beach Champion
• 2009 Trans-Am Champion.
• 2010 ALMS (one off race) Prototype LMP1 3rd. at Mid Ohio
• 2011 saw Tomy’s return to the American Le Mans LMPC division. He scored a 2nd at Long Beach, 3rd at Lime Rock, 1st at Mid Ohio,1st at Inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix and second at Road Atlanta -Petit Le Mans.
• 2012, Drissi teamed with Bruno Junqiera for finishing 2nd at Laguna Seca, a win at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), 2nd at Baltimore and second at the season finale, Petit Lemans.
• 2013 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Best result at Mid Ohio starting 38th and finishing 19th.
• 2014 IMSA LMPC at Daytona 3rd.
• 2014 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Finished 19th at The Glen
• 2015 TUDOR Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
• 2016 WeatherTech Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
• 2017 Three wins in the Trans Am Series
• 2017 WeatherTech Series. 1st Place Motul Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta