“We knew going in the race would require patience,” said Tomy. “The guys in front were fast.. and right from turn one, it was obvious they weren’t going to give each other any opportunity to get a run. After I cleared turn one and the down hill section, I decided to settle in and let the front runners sort themselves out. It was the right decision.. I think everyone of them took a turn holding the lead. I know I was running second at one point.”
“For most of the race, I had Amy [Ruman] chasing me,” added Tomy. “She really kept me on my toes… I think she had a little more than me on the front stretch. Every time I got to turn one she was right there filling my mirrors. She raced me real clean and it was a lot of fun. We could see the leaders the whole time, so the ‘patience’ strategy paid off.”
This weekend was also the Trans Am West Coast Championship, with both Tomy and Greg Pickett, [No. 68 Pickett Racing Ford Mustang] participating. The COTA race concluded the four-race championship that included Willow Springs International Raceway, Auto Club Speedway and Portland International Raceway. While Drissi took home the TA class West Coast win, it was Pickett who clinched the championship with his second place finish (12th overall).
“It was great sharing this podium with Greg Pickett,” said Tomy. “He is truly a great champion and a great guy. I’ve known him forever and he’s always been a true gentleman both on and off the track. I’m honored just to be standing next to him!”
Murder on the Orient Express opens November 10, 2017, it’s a lavish train ride unfolds into a stylish & suspenseful mystery, from the novel by Agatha Christie. It’s about thirteen stranded strangers & one man’s race to solve the puzzle before the murderer strikes again. It stars Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer.
Keep up with Tomy at http://www.tomydrissi.com or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/tomydrissi/ – Catch Tomy’s Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/tomydrissi
Tomy Drissi is an American driver and Trans Am Champion.
His driver experience includes ALMS, Trans-Am, NASCAR and Speed World Challengea
Born December 9 in Hollywood, California, Tomy owns an advertising firm that produces upcoming film displays for cinemas.
Drissi’s first racing experience in motorsports was street racing on Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills.
Tomy’s professional racing career highlights include:
• 1999 Trans-Am Rookie of the Year,
• 2000 Trans-Am BBS Most Improved Driver,
• 2000 Trans-Am Crew of the Year
• 2000 Trans-Am Long Beach Champion
• 2009 Trans-Am Champion.
• 2010 ALMS (one off race) Prototype LMP1 3rd. at Mid Ohio
• 2011 saw Tomy’s return to the American Le Mans LMPC division. He scored a 2nd at Long Beach, 3rd at Lime Rock, 1st at Mid Ohio,1st at Inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix and second at Road Atlanta -Petit Le Mans.
• 2012, Drissi teamed with Bruno Junqiera for finishing 2nd at Laguna Seca, a win at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), 2nd at Baltimore and second at the season finale, Petit Lemans.
• 2013 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Best result at Mid Ohio starting 38th and finishing 19th.
• 2014 IMSA LMPC at Daytona 3rd.
• 2014 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Finished 19th at The Glen
• 2015 TUDOR Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
• 2016 WeatherTech Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
• 2017 WeatherTech Series. 1st Place Motul Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta
• 2017 Trans Am Series. 3rd place at Circuit of the Americas
• 2017 Trans Am Series West. 1st place at Circuit of the Americas
The Trans Am Series is America’s Road Racing Series and dates back to 1966. Throughout the years, some of the greatest names in motorsports have participated in the Trans Am Series. Names like Tommy Kendall, Mark Donohue, Peter Gregg, Bob Tullius and Wally Dallenbach, Jr. have all won multiple championships under the Trans Am name.
While Trans Am will always be dedicated to honoring its history and legacy, it is far from simply living in the past. Since the addition of the Trans Am Race Company, LLC in late 2011, Trans Am has experienced unprecedented growth as a new class based model has been implemented. Now, three distinct classes take center stage; TA, TA2 and TA3, Trans Am is positioned to power into the future, not live in the past.
The iconic Trans Am Series – America’s Road Racing Series – is operated by the Trans Am Race Company, LLC. Through a five-year agreement, the Trans Am Race Company manages the marketing rights to the series and is responsible for Trans Am Series public relations and promotions. SCCA Pro Racing sanctions Trans Am events and provides event operations services to the series.
For more on the Series visit www.gotransam.com, “like” Trans Am on Facebook at www.facebook.com/gotransam, or follow Trans Am on Twitter at @gotransam.