Trans Am Champion,Tomy Drissi, took the No. 8 GoShare Chevrolet Camaro, for Burtin Racing, to the third step on the podium for the Berryman Trans Am at the Brickyard, and topped off the day with a win in the Trans Am West division. The three day event, saw Trans Am’s 60-car entry tackling the 2.43 mile road course at the iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“What an incredible weekend,” said Tomy. “Burtin Racing gave me a podium worthy car and I did everything humanly possible to hold up my end of the bargain. People sometimes forget, this is a team sport. Sure, the driver maybe the face of that team, but the heart and soul comes from the team. The crew at the track and those back at the shop pour everything they’ve got into putting a good car on the track and under their driver. Today, I was not going to let them down.”
Drissi was served with a drive through penalty while running second with nine laps remaining, falling back to fifth. Working his way forward and a spin by David Pintaric last lap pass of Simon Gregg, in the No. 59 Derhaag Motorsports Chevrolet Corvette, would secure Drissi a podium finish.
“The real competitor we felt this weekend was mother nature,” said Drissi. “I’m pretty good in the heat, though I feel like it affected both the cars and the drivers. I made contact with David (Pintaric), which wasn’t intentional— David’s a good guy and I’ll race with him any day. But, I got black flagged and came in, then got back to work in fifth position, got by two cars on the last lap and caught the third place finish. Hey, a P1 in the West Coast and a P3 in Trans Am— I’ll take it. Thank you so much to Burtin Racing. They work so hard and are true professionals.”
The Trans Am Series presented by Pirelli and the Berryman Trans Am at the Brickyard, was a three day event featuring Trans Am’s 60-car entry tackling the 2.43 mile road course at the iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway in two competitions: the TA2 class’ Berryman Muscle Car Challenge and the multi-class Berryman Trans American featuring TA, TA3 and TA4.
The event was Trans Am’s second-ever appearance at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and featured the TA2 class’ Berryman Muscle Car Challenge. Also in attendance was the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association holding their Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational.
Fans can catch the action from Trans Am’s two races through live streaming, free on Motor Trend On Demand, with replays of the stream available following the event for Motor Trend On Demand subscribers.
The weekend will also be showcased at CBS Sports Network Sunday July 1 at 2:00 PM ET in a 60-minute highlight show and weekend recap.
The Trans Am Series presented by Pirelli and the TA, TA3 and TA4 classes will resume competition August 2-3 at Pittsburgh International Race Complex.
Keep up with Tomy at http://www.tomydrissi.com or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/tomydrissi/ – Catch Tomy’s Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/tomydrissi
Tomy Drissi is an American driver and Trans Am Champion.
His driver experience includes ALMS, Trans-Am, NASCAR and Speed World Challengea
Born December 9 in Hollywood, California, Tomy owns an advertising firm that produces upcoming film displays for cinemas.
Drissi’s first racing experience in motorsports was street racing on Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills.
Tomy’s professional racing career highlights include:
• 1999 Trans-Am Rookie of the Year,
• 2000 Trans-Am BBS Most Improved Driver,
• 2000 Trans-Am Crew of the Year
• 2000 Trans-Am Long Beach Champion
• 2009 Trans-Am Champion.
• 2010 ALMS (one off race) Prototype LMP1 3rd. at Mid Ohio
• 2011 saw Tomy’s return to the American Le Mans LMPC division. He scored a 2nd at Long Beach, 3rd at Lime Rock, 1st at Mid Ohio,1st at Inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix and second at Road Atlanta -Petit Le Mans.
• 2012, Drissi teamed with Bruno Junqiera for finishing 2nd at Laguna Seca, a win at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), 2nd at Baltimore and second at the season finale, Petit Lemans.
• 2013 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Best result at Mid Ohio starting 38th and finishing 19th.
• 2014 IMSA LMPC at Daytona 3rd.
• 2014 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Finished 19th at The Glen
• 2015 TUDOR Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
• 2016 WeatherTech Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
• 2017 Three wins in the Trans Am Series
• 2017 WeatherTech Series. 1st Place Motul Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta