“This was as exciting as it gets!,” exclaimed Tomy Drissi following Sunday’s finish of the Rolex 24 at Daytona at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona, Florida. “It was full on for 24 hours. And it was truly a team effort… everyone, the engineers, the crew members… all the drivers, everyone committed everything they had to keeping the No. 16 SpongeBob -Sponge Out of Water / Autosport Designs / Southwest Realty Advisors prototype moving to the front. It was incredible.”
The weekend started off with Johnny Mowlem putting the car on the class pole. Johnny locked up the pole position in the final lap of Friday’s qualifying session turning in a blistering 1:42.318 time while averaging 125.257 mph. The car started Saturday’s race 12th overall on the grid.
On race day, the car, crew and drivers were all in lockstep and launching an all out attack on the Prototype Challenge field. At one point, the team fell 11 laps back. Undeterred, the team fought back and when the checkered flag dropped, Martin Plowman was streaking across the finish less than one minute behind the leader to secure the second step on the podium.
“To stand on the second step of the podium after working so hard is a great feeling,” added Tomy. “I can’t say enough about my co-drivers… I mean, Johnny Mowlem was on fire all weekend. He put us on the pole and was still gaining on the leader when he took the checkered flag. And Martin Plowman was the perfect piece to the puzzle keeping us in the hunt. I have nothing but admiration for Brian Alder and the entire BAR1 Motorsports team… they were amazing.”
“I hope people recognize the effort put forth by the IMSA people and the Tudor United SportsCar Series,” said Tomy. “One year after the merger, this race had all the makings of a world class event. It was as it should be. And when you add the Patron North American Endurance Championship into the mix, it makes it an event that as a driver, you want to be a part of it. I want to be sure Ed Brown and the people at Patron know how much we appreciate their involvement. Next year Johnny Mowlem and I are committed to getting that Rolex watch. Second place was awesome… and we’re proud to be sure… but we want that watch!”
Tomy and the BAR1 Motorsports team will be back in action for the 63rd Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida on March 21 at Sebring International Raceway
Tomy Drissi is an American driver and Trans Am Champion.
His driver experience includes ALMS, Trans-Am, NASCAR and Speed World Challenge.
Born December 9 in Hollywood, California, Tomy owns an advertising firm that produces upcoming film displays for cinemas.
Drissi’s first racing experience in motorsports was street racing on Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills.
Tomy’s professional racing career highlights include:
• 1999 Trans-Am Rookie of the Year,
• 2000 Trans-Am BBS Most Improved Driver,
• 2000 Trans-Am Crew of the Year
• 2000 Trans-Am Long Beach Champion
• 2009 Trans-Am Champion.
• 2010 ALMS (one off race) Prototype LMP1 3rd. at Mid Ohio
• 2011 saw Tomy’s return to the American Le Mans LMPC division. He scored a 2nd at Long Beach, 3rd at Lime Rock, 1st at Mid Ohio,1st at Inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix and second at Road Atlanta -Petit Le Mans.
• 2012, Drissi teamed with Bruno Junqiera for finishing 2nd at Laguna Seca, a win at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), 2nd at Baltimore and second at the season finale, Petit Lemans.
• 2013 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Best result at Mid Ohio starting 38th and finishing 19th.
• 2014 IMSA LMPC at Daytona 3rd. The SpongeBob Movie – Sponge Out of Water SpongeBob SquarePants, the world’s favorite sea dwelling invertebrate, has his most super-heroic adventure yet. SpongeBob goes on a quest to discover a stolen recipe that takes him to our dimension, our world, where he tangles with a pirate. In theaters February 6.
IMSA The International Motor Sports Association, LLC (IMSA) is the sanctioning body of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, the road-racing series resulting from the merger of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón and the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. IMSA also sanctions the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and the Cooper Tires Prototype Lites Powered by Mazda, as well as four single-make series: Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA by Yokohama, Ultra 94 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Canada by Michelin, Ferrari Challenge North America and Lamborghini Super Trofeo North America. IMSA is the exclusive strategic partner in North America with the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO), which operates the 24 Hours of Le Mans as a part of the FIA World Endurance Championship. The partnership enables selected TUDOR United SportsCar Championship competitors to earn automatic entries into the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans.