Set for the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Championship finale, Tomy Drissi will join BAR1 Motorsports campaigning the No. 20 Fox Networks Group car in the highly competitive Prototype Challenge class.
The 2016 Petit Le Mans presented by Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort is a 10-hour race on the 12-turn, 2.54-mile road course at Road Atlanta.
Tomy will be joined by co-drivers, Johnny Mowlem and Don Yount. The trio stood on the podium at last years rain shortened Petit Le Mans and are confident this year they’ll make that top step.
“I’ve been on that podium four times in the last five years,” said Drissi. “I have yet to stand on the top step … I’m so ready for a win here. Plus this is probably Johnny’s last race in IMSA so it would be a bonus to send him off with a victory.”
“The track is one of the best in racing,” added Tomy. “It’s a great endurance track and we’ve got 10 hours. You have to push.. but you have to be smart. I’m still working through some issues with my shoulder (Tomy suffered a shoulder injury in NASCAR last month), but it’s much stronger and I’m confident I’ll be good for the race.”
“It’s always exciting to come here,” Tomy continued. “The fans that come for this event are the real deal. They know the cars and they know their racing… it’s going to be great. This year we’re representing the Fox Networks Group.. so we’re anxious to put on a good show.”
Tomy Drissi is an American driver and Trans Am Champion.
His driver experience includes ALMS, Trans-Am, NASCAR and Speed World Challengea
Born December 9 in Hollywood, California, Tomy owns an advertising firm that produces upcoming film displays for cinemas.
Drissi’s first racing experience in motorsports was street racing on Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills.
Tomy’s professional racing career highlights include:
• 1999 Trans-Am Rookie of the Year,
• 2000 Trans-Am BBS Most Improved Driver,
• 2000 Trans-Am Crew of the Year
• 2000 Trans-Am Long Beach Champion
• 2009 Trans-Am Champion.
• 2010 ALMS (one off race) Prototype LMP1 3rd. at Mid Ohio
• 2011 saw Tomy’s return to the American Le Mans LMPC division. He scored a 2nd at Long Beach, 3rd at Lime Rock, 1st at Mid Ohio,1st at Inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix and second at Road Atlanta -Petit Le Mans.
• 2012, Drissi teamed with Bruno Junqiera for finishing 2nd at Laguna Seca, a win at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), 2nd at Baltimore and second at the season finale, Petit Lemans.
• 2013 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Best result at Mid Ohio starting 38th and finishing 19th.
• 2014 IMSA LMPC at Daytona 3rd.
• 2014 NASCAR CUP/Nationwide. Finished 19th at The Glen
• 2015 TUDOR Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
• 2016 WeatherTech Series. 2nd Place Rolex 24 at Daytona
Fox Networks Group
Fox Networks Group is 21st Century Fox’s primary operating unit for TV and Cable. It produces and distributes 300+ entertainment, sports, factual and movie channels in 45 languages across Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa, using several brands, including Fox, STAR India, Fox Sports, Fox Life, National Geographic Channel, Fox Movies Premium, STAR Movies, Star Plus, and STAR Gold. Their non-linear brands are Fox Play, Fox Play+ and Nat Geo Play. These brands reach over 1.725 billion households around the world.
The International Motor Sports Association, LLC (IMSA) is the sanctioning body of the WeatherTech Championship, the road-racing series resulting from the merger of the American Le Mans Series and the GRAND-AM Sports Car Series. IMSA also sanctions the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and the Cooper Tires Prototype Lites Powered by Mazda, as well as four single-make series: Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA by Yokohama, Ultra 94 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Canada by Michelin, Ferrari Challenge North America and Lamborghini Super Trofeo North America. IMSA is the exclusive strategic partner in North America with the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO), which operates the 24 Hours of Le Mans as a part of the FIA World Endurance Championship. The partnership enables selected TUDOR United SportsCar Championship competitors to earn automatic entries into the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans.